My weblog work journal. »Archives »Links
I usually start to go into comics overload around this time of year. I’m sure it is from the blitzkreig of cons and comic-related movies opening this time of the year. Anyway, I’m out of here for a week on vacation, so I’m going to spread some comic love out on your muffins for you all to enjoy.
- Bowzizzer.com has “f’n great comics” for sale online, much of it hard to find short of knowing the creator. A lot of rare independent gems here. I know many of you out there ask me for good comics when you are just getting in to them. Try some of these mini-comics out. They are cheap, good, and not filled with superheroes.
- Speaking of, Scott of Bowzizzer informed me of a kick-ass contest to win a $20 shopping spree on his store – The Free Mini-Comics Contest 2004. Here’s the kicker, you have to create a mini-comic page of your own to enter. So all you people out there who have wanted to try to do your own comics, try this out! Minis are a great way to start!
- Don’t know how to make a mini-comic? Here’s a good tutorial and template (250kb PDF). You only need one page for the contest, but why stop there! This shows you how to make an 8 page mini.
- But wait, there’s more! After you get done watching Spider-Man 2 this weekend, be sure to hit Free Comic Book Day on Saturday, July 3rd. Loads of free comics, for free, and… it’s all free! Who doesn’t like free? Hit the site to locate a comic shop in your area. If you are in the Omaha Metro area, I recommend Krypton Comics, where my good friend Fredd will be doing sketches. Oh yeah, some guy who’s drawn Superman a bunch, along with the Mask, will be there too (and if you think this off-the-cuff introduction means he’s not amazingly great, you are on crack).
- Finally, I can’t forget my old partner Neil Kleid, whose Ninety Candles debuted at MoCCA this past weekend. His work has been deemed worthy of a Xeric grant, so I don’t know, he may be good or something! Check it out when you get a second and order some through your store.
As for me, I may try to do a mini for the hell of it while I’m gone on vacation. I picked up some brushes and a new sketchbook. This may be a good reason to break them in.
You can also browse through the Parlor archives.